The AGM started at 7:05 and adjourned at 7:12. The executive for the coming year:
· President – Laraine
· Vice President – Stacey
· Treasurer – Jean
· Communications Director – Hedda
· Membership Director – Barbara
· Program/Workshop Director – Christine
Programs Update – Christine and Joan
· We need a couple of volunteers from the Abbotsford area to help out with events.
· Next workshop is being taught by Colleen Bell on November 25: Using Excel for Quilt Design. $30 for the day. Sign up with Christine and Joan. This is a no-sewing workshop in a computer lab. Computers are provided but you are welcome to bring a laptop if you prefer.
· What else is coming up? We have the Christmas Party in December and the destash in January. November will feature several mini-trunk shows from our members.
Community Quilts – Kathryn
· Kathryn and Joanne are taking over Community Quilts.
· This month please take home a block package if you have a few minutes to make one block for the November meeting. (Update: They all disappeared. More packages next time please!)
· We are exploring different venues for quilt donations and we’re open to feedback if you have any suggestions about community quilts in general.
CreativFestival – Kathryn
· There are a few packages for the challenge left – please see Kathryn if you want one.
· Challenge projects are meant to be secret until they are unveiled! Please don’t post photos or share ideas!
· The booth is going to feature the work of Lysa and Sherri.
· We are going to need loads of modern quilts for the display.
· We’ll have lots of prizes for the challenge and display.
Swaps & Challenges – Jean
· We have a personal challenge from Montreal Modern Quilt Guild. They are challenging their members to take a traditional block and make it modern. This month’s block is the rail fence. It is a personal challenge but if you do try it out feel free to post the results! You can follow along with them on their Facebook group or their blog at mtlmqg.blogspot.ca.
Modern Quilt Guild Charity Project – Stacey
· We have a group for this project on Facebook if you want more info. The project is a heart quilt made out of half-square triangles.
· There are swatches available and then participants pull fabric from their stash to use. The blocks are nice and big, very quick to make, and we only need one or two from each person participating.
· We will have a sew-in later in the year to put the top together, hopefully November or January.
Christmas is Coming – Carol
· Kate, Judy and Carol are planning the Christmas Party. A couple more people to work with the group would be very welcome.
· The focus for this meeting is fun!
Canadian Quilters Association Postcard Demo – Jean
· Canadianquilter.com – click on the ‘Quilts Canada’ heading for more details. Theme is “Inspired by Nature”.
· You can send in as many as you like to be displayed and there are some great prizes.
· Postcards will be sold for $5 each after the show (so you don’t get them back) and the money raised is going to BC Children’s Hospital.
· Jean did a quick demo and showed an amazing variety of postcards incorporating different media. The possibilities are really endless!
Show & Tell
Special thank you to Sonya who takes the photos and posts them on Facebook! The inspiration we draw from each other is a wonderful thing.