Hedda was covering for Helen as the meeting chair and she opened the meeting at 7:45. (A little later than usual because the venue had a conflict.)
First up, we had the trunk show by Karlie McChesney. It was a fantastic display of numbers, art, origami inspiration and history of one person’s quilting.
Then we got into the business:
Community Quilts – all Big Bee materials are due to be mailed May 1st so if you have anything you want to send, make sure you get it to Jean before then.
Sew-in – it happened yesterday and it was a great turn-out. There will be no sew-in in May because of the workshop.
Swaps, challenges and draws:
– there were 24 participants in the Polaroid block swap and lottery. Each participant made 12 and 10 were mixed up with the other participants’ 10 and redistributed. The other 48 (+ a mysterious 3 blocks) went into a draw, which Courtney won!
– NEW challenge — a bag challenge. Make sure you challenge yourself! These bags need to be done by the June meeting.
Courtney thanked everyone for their help with the CreativFestival. She had some prizes:
– Christine for the viewers’ choice
– Sherri for the Guild’s choice
– Jane for the volunteer prize
Laura – workshops and programs
– Paul Krampitz from the Vancouver Modern Quilt Guild is doing a wedge circle workshop for us on May 13th and there’s a trunk show at our meeting on May 11th.
– In June, Andrew Wong will be coming to talk about his sharpening business and what he can do for your scissors and knives. He’s based in abbotsford. If you want to bring scissors and/or knives to the meeting, you can leave them with Andrew and he’ll have them ready for pickup in a week or two. The scissors must have a screw that lets them be split into two pieces and the cost is $10 Each pair.
– In July, we will have our Picnic in the Park meeting at the Heritage Park in Mission from 6 to 9.
– In August, Terry Aske will be doing a trunk show. Terry is also from the Vancouver Modern Quilt Guild.
We had Show and Tell next, and it was great, as always.
We had 2 new members at this meeting. Welcome!
See you all in May!