- We didn’t expect a big group out because many members are away on summer holidays, but we were pleasantly surprised to see the chairs fill up with 32 members and 7 guests! Thank you to Kate & Sunny for keeping track of all the membership details. Registration for 2019/20 membership is now due. Forms are available under Files on our Facebook page.
- The MQG Exhibit of Modern Quilts at the Whatcom Museum in Bellingham is there only until August 25. It is well worth the effort of attending!
more month for our 3 SUMMER CHALLENGES! All
are due at the September Guild meeting on September 12. The minis and the bags will be on exhibit at
the Abbotsford Wine & Art Walk on September 19.
CHALLENGE #1 – UPCYCLED “H” BAG from Orange Dot Quilts. As of Aug 8, there are
47 members signed up! We will be voting
for our favourites at the September guild meeting and prizes for the top 3 are:
- First Place – $30 gift certificate to Life’s Second Chance Thrift Store
- Second Place – $20 gift certificate to MCC Thrift Store
- Third Place – $10 gift certificate to MCC Thrift Store
- SUMMER CHALLENGE #1 – UPCYCLED “H” BAG from Orange Dot Quilts. As of Aug 8, there are 47 members signed up! We will be voting for our favourites at the September guild meeting and prizes for the top 3 are:
It’s not too late to join up. Email Marilyn at email@example.com if you are interested. Find more details about the challenge under Files on Facebook or by asking Marilyn or Joanne.
CHALLENGE #2 – Canadian MQG Mini Quilt Swap
Theme is GEOMETRY. Sign up was closed on July 15 and information about
your match has been emailed. Eleven of
our guild members are participating out of a total of thirty across
Canada! Yay FVMQG! Thank you Laura Miron for promoting this
- SUMMER CHALLENGE #3 – WORKSHOP UFO CHALLENGE. Finish what you started at a workshop. Every finish is an entry for a prize. Registration form on Facebook Files. See Laura Miron with your questions.
- Update on NOMINATIONS for guild volunteer positions for next year…we are still looking for:
- Vice President
Do either of those interest you or can you think of anyone who would be well suited for those positions? Is this the year you can take a turn at a volunteer position in the guild? You get the most out of the guild when you get involved. Also, if you need some incentive… keep in mind that volunteers are given the opportunity to go to Green Lake for a retreat!
- Christine showed us samples from the Terry Aske Workshop that she attended and encouraged us to sign up for the class. Mark your calendar for these upcoming WORKSHOPS:
- Terry Aske CIRCLES, CIRCLES, CIRCLES WORKSHOP coming up on Saturday, October 19, $55. Email Laura More to register at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lorna Shapiro 2 day workshop, QUILT DESIGN 101 – April 25 & May 9. $95. Email Laura More to register at email@example.com
- Phyllis Janzen shared her vision for this year’s QuiltCon 2020 CHARITY QUILT CHALLENGE. The theme is TEXT with a grey scale solid colour scheme. Phyllis & Helen have met with an Indigenous leader to develop their idea of a quilt recognizing Murdered & Missing Indigenous Women & Girls. Phyllis showed us a mock up of the idea using words from the recently released report. Phyllis will be asking for help from members in various ways with this project over the next few months.
- See Facebook for photos of our inspiring SHOW & TELL. Thanks to Laura Shaw for taking the pics this month and posting them.
- After enjoying some delicious cake brought by Geraldine and other COFFEE BREAK goodies, we watched some of a MQG Webinar with Tara Faughnan “Design Process: From the Initial Spark to the Finished Quilt”. The internet connection at the church was weak and left us watching a spinning wheel more than we wanted to, but hopefully we got a taste of what a MQG website webinar is like and some inspiration to check out the website on our own for more resources.
- The 50/50 DRAW was won by Geraldine Howe with a $30 pot. Thank you to Judy Cruickshank and Mary McNeil for managing ticket sales. Proceeds from 50/50 go to Community Quilts.
- Thank you to everyone who brought a DOOR PRIZE. Here’s an idea to keep door prizes going strong…if you WIN one this month, you BRING one next month!
- September GUILD MEETING is on Thursday, September 12, 2019 at St. Matthews Church Hall. The September meeting is our AGM and elections. After the AGM is Show & Tell featuring our Summer Challenges and then the Anniversary Party! You don’t want to miss it!