- A beautiful evening for a POTLUCK PICNIC at Fraser River Heritage Park with 35 members in attendance! A few members with strong arms moved the heavy picnic tables to form a comfortable space for us to gather. We enjoyed a very tasty spread of sweet and savory picnic dishes to share. Thank you for your contribution!
- There was lots of action at the FREE TABLE. Joanne shared some great finds from Life’s Second Chance Thrift Store. Thanks to everybody who brought free stuff!
- Colleen opened the meeting by reminding us that we were meeting on Sto:lo Nation land and recognizing that their art of weaving and making had some similarities to our quilting efforts.
- We congratulated Judy Cruickshank on her FIRST PLACE entry in the CQA Trendex Challenge and we congratulated Laura Shaw on her TOP TEN entry in the MQG Riley Blake Challenge.
- Tracey Wiebe collected a good number of PILLOWCASES to take to Burn Camp 2019. Some of us found out that making pillowcases can be quite addicting!
TRIPS coming up to see the MQG Quilt Exhibit at the WHATCOM MUSEUM in
- Eight of us attended the Luke Haynes Lecture on Sunday, July 14
- Saturday, July 27 – lecture by Marla Varner.
Some brochures about the exhibit were distributed. Find more details under the Events tab on our Facebook page or contact Marilyn.
- We have 3 SUMMER CHALLENGES on the go. All are due at the September Guild meeting, September 12. The minis and the bags will be on exhibit at the Abbotsford Wine & Art Walk on September 19.
- SUMMER CHALLENGE #1 – UPCYCLED “H” BAG from Orange Dot Quilts. As of July 20, there are 45 members signed up! We will be voting for our favourites at the September guild meeting and prizes for the top 3 are:
First Place – $30 gift certificate to Life’s Second Chance Thrift Store
Second Place – $20 gift certificate to MCC Thrift Store
Third Place – $10 gift certificate to MCC Thrift Store
It’s not too late to join up. Email Marilyn at email@example.com if you are interested. Find more details about the challenge under Files on Facebook or by asking Marilyn or Joanne.
- SUMMER CHALLENGE #2 – Canadian MQG Mini Quilt Swap Theme is GEOMETRY. Sign up was closed on July 15 and information about your match has been emailed. Eleven of our guild members are participating out of a total of thirty across Canada! Yay FVMQG! Thank you Laura Miron for promoting this challenge.
- SUMMER CHALLENGE #3 – WORKSHOP UFO CHALLENGE. Finish what you started at a workshop. Every finish is an entry for a prize. Registration form on Facebook Files. See Laura Miron with your questions.
- Karla gave us an update on NOMINATIONS for guild volunteer positions for next year. We are still looking for:
- Vice President
- Sew-In Assistant
Do any of those interest you or can you think of anyone who would be well suited for those positions? Is this the year you can take a turn at a volunteer position in the guild? You get the most out of the guild when you get involved. Also, if you need some incentive… keep in mind that volunteers are given the opportunity to go to Green Lake for a retreat!
- Mark your calendar for these upcoming WORKSHOPS:
- Terry Aske CIRCLES, CIRCLES, CIRCLES WORKSHOP coming up on Saturday, October 19, $55. Email Laura More to register at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lorna Shapiro 2 day workshop, QUILT DESIGN 101 – April 25 & May 9. $95. Email Laura More to register at email@example.com
- Tracey Navratil led some discussion about our August COFFEE KLATCH and it was decided that it will be on Sunday, July 28 so that we can go to Our Social Fabric. Check the Events page on Facebook for more details.
- See Facebook for photos of our inspiring SHOW & TELL. Thanks Nancy for taking the pics and posting them. Also, some members displayed the MODERN MINI LOG CABIN quilts that they received in the swap with VMQG.
- The 50/50 DRAW was won by Barb Macleod with a $37 pot. Thank you to Eileen for accepting tickets sales right up to just minutes before the draw! Proceeds from 50/50 go to Community Quilts.
- Thank you to everyone who brought a DOOR PRIZE. I’m pretty impressed to see how many members bring door prizes!
- We finished the evening off with our tradition of a GROUP PHOTO shot at the gazebo.
- August GUILD MEETING is on Thursday, August 8, 2019 back at the church hall. For the August program, we’ll be watching a MQG Webinar.
- August SEW IN is Saturday, August 17 at UFV.
Submitted by: Marilyn I.