by Debbie Svensson
Photos to come
Jean struggled a bit with getting everyone ready to start. The Dinky Doo pop-up shop was a huge attraction (distraction) and it was there for the whole meeting. SUPER stuff! Jean just kept talking … into the microphone … and then we got rolling.
We had one new member tonight – Joyce. We also had three guests: Wanda, Tammy and Nuala. Wanda was our instructor at a workshop earlier this year, and she showed us her completed 100-block Tula Pink quilt from the 100 Modern Quilt Blocks book.
Jean did an Executive introduction and a Volunteer introduction. Thank you to all of you. You can see these people named over there on the left. Also, Karla is now going to be the coffee/tea lady, but you’ll need to bring your own mug (lug a mug) if you want to have one of these lovely beverages. And another also, Debbie is now posting regularly on the Facebook page, where we have info for non-members. If you haven’t liked it yet, please have a look and click the Like button.
Check the private Facebook group for more details on:
- October 17th sew-in
- October 31st coffee klatch
- November 7th workshop – Quilt As You Go (QAYG)
- There are still a few spaces. It’s at the UFV, will run from 10 – 4 (set-up starts at 9:30) and it’s only $35.
- Those who are registered will have their fabric requirements by October 20th.
Jean asked for a volunteer to write articles and send in submissions to the Canadian Quilt Association (CQA) and Debbie volunteered to look into it and possibly take it on … she’ll do some digging.
In December, we’re doing a Christmas party. Helen (squid lady) asked for volunteers and before the end of the meeting, she had four or five. Way to go, team! Please talk to Helen if you also want to join the committee.
In March of 2016, there will be a Creative Stitches Alive show at the Tradex. We had a lovely, eye-catching booth there this year and we will have a presence again next year. Look to sign up early in 2016.
The Ugly Fabric Challenge
- Bring a piece of ugly fabric (fat quarter to 1/3m sized) to the November meeting.
- Take a different piece of ugly fabric home.
- Sew something with the ugly fabric and make sure the ugly fabric is on the front side.
- Come to the meeting in January 2016.
- Give the finished item to the person who supplied the ugly fabric.
Sounds fun, right? Who knows what beautiful thing will come of your hideous (to you) fabric?
– Stacey Day from the Vancouver Modern Quilt Guild will do a trunk show (patterns) and talk about her design process
– Debbie will do a presentation on Facebook and the Modern Quilt Guild website – is there anything that you want to know how to do? Send your questions to Laura Miron or Debbie Svensson.
– Carol will do a presentation on Flickr, Instagram and how those things integrate with Facebook. Is there anything you want to know how to do? Send your questions to Laura Miron or Carol Browne.
Then we had show-and-tell. Carol will have pictures and they will be fabulous. Carol is great.
Edy did a demo/walkthrough of her “Summer in the Park or Picnic in the Park or whatever” quilt by the Missouri Star Quilt Company.
Have a look at the video I’ve linked there – it’s amazing how quickly this quilt top would come together! Edy did a great demo to show us all the steps, and many minds were blown.
Peg did a demo/walkthrough of her Scrap Vortex Quilt by Amanda Jean at the Crazy Mom Quilts blog.
Do you have scraps? Do you want to use them? This is a GREAT way to get ‘er done. Have a look at the link for the instruction for the first week of the Quilt-Along, and then follow the posts that walk you through every step.
The Chilliwack Quilters’ Guild is having a quilt sale with 9 merchants on October 23/24 at the Alliance Church at 8500 Young Road.
The Westcoast Women’s Show is running October 16-18 at the Tradex.
Linda won the Spooky Eyes Block Lotto! She was away, so Debbie collected the 15 squares for her. Linda will be putting the blocks together with her teenaged granddaughter, and we will hope to see the finished quilt soon (no pressure).
See you all November 12th!